January 22, 2008

The Constitution According to Akhil Amar: Classes 1 & 2

Preface
This semester I have the fortune of taking "Reading the Constitution" with Akhil Reed Amar. (Sorry, I lied about my class schedule earlier. But I meant it when I said that I'm pro-war and pro-family.) A more accurate title would be "Reading America's Constitution: A Biography," because that's what we're actually reading. Not that I'm complaining: I've read the constitution before, and the writing's a bit stale.

In all seriousness, this is a tremendously informative and interesting class. Amar's book is primarily an historical work, and it is addressed to the intelligent layperson, who he feels doesn't care enough about the constitution and is tragically ignorant about it.

"So what?" you're probably thinking, to put it euphemistically. (I know my readership. Hi Dave. Hi Googlecrawler.)

So this semester you also have the fortune of taking "Reading the Constitution!" Except you don't get Akhil Amar. You don't get 2 credits. You don't pass "Go" and collect $200.

And you don't have to pay for it.

Now that you're on board, welcome aboard. Class is about to begin. Here's the deal: just about every Tuesday this semester, starting today, I'll post links to my class notes (Blogger screws up the formatting). Since I'm a week behind, I'm going to post the first two sessions worth of notes today. (Consider it a super Tuesday.) You're responsible for reading them. There will be a final exam. The grading scale will consist of PASS, FAIL, and EPIC FAIL. Any questions?

That's what I thought.

All rise. Class is now in session.

Class 1 (Chapter 1)

Class 2 (Chapter 2)

No comments: