August 29, 2008

Song

Sarang (aka the Glass-Bottom Feeder) plugged Priscilla Sneff's poem "Song," and I remarked that I kind of wanted to set it to music. Well, I did. It was a little tricky because it's in free-verse, but the musical verses have to be more structured (8-bar phrases and the like).

UPDATE: Sarang informs me that the poem is hardly in free-verse. I did notice the rhyme scheme, but the irregularity of syllables per line threw me. Being a poetic novice, I didn't think in terms of meter (and I'm not even confident that I can determine where all of the stresses are...so much for my natural speaking style). Sarang writes: "The scheme is 3/3/4/3 beats per line, generally iambic, and the rhyme scheme is ABAB. Irritatingly I can't remember what this form is called but it's one of the three regular ballad meters."

No comments: